Faculty Spotlight
Dean, School of Fire and Health Sciences

Study Abroad Payment Information

Although financial aid is not available for summer programs, we strongly encourage eligible students going abroad for fall and/or spring semesters to apply for financial aid. If you are currently receiving aid, you can often apply it to your study abroad program, as long as you maintain full-time academic status. Make sure your free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is up-to-date for the period when you wish to study abroad. If you are not currently receiving financial aid, you may apply for aid, including Stafford Subsidized/ Unsubsidized Loans, by completing the FAFSA for the same academic period when you plan to study abroad.

The FAFSA is available after January 1 for the academic year beginning the following fall. As soon as possible after January 1 complete the FAFSA, as it takes the federal processor up to two weeks to process your application. The FAFSA can be completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.


Once accepted by the affiliated study abroad program you will receive an acceptance package that consists of a lot of important paperwork and information. In this package you will receive a budget sheet for the program you will be attending. This budget sheet will include all "reasonable" costs, such as tuition and fees for the program, living costs, health insurance, books and supplies, and transportation costs (airfare and program travel). If you indicated on your application that you plan to use financial aid to pay for your study abroad experience, YOU are responsible for sending your budget sheet to the Financial Aid Office for processing as soon as possible so they will be able to determine the amount of aid you will be able to receive toward your study abroad program. Your financial aid package will be adjusted based on the cost provided in your study abroad budget sheet.

If you will be utilizing financial aid to cover part of the costs of your study abroad program, and the Financial Aid Office has approved this, once financial aid funds and loans are available for disbursement, they will automatically be applied to your tuition. Study Abroad program tuition fees that are billed through Anna Maria College are the first charges that will be paid. After your tuition charges and any other outstanding fees on your account are completely paid, any remaining funds are considered a credit balance. This funding will be issued to you in the form of a reimbursement check that will be sent to your home address of record on file with the Business Office. If there is NOT enough money to cover the tuition and administration costs to study abroad, and you need additional funding, you may want to consider alternative loans and/or resources.

Financing Options

Because Federal laws will not allow loan monies to be released more than about 10 days before the academic program begins, even if a student is studying abroad, in most cases federal financial aid will be disbursed after you have already left the U.S.; therefore, you may be required to pay some program fees up front PRIOR to allocation of financial aid (e.g., airfare, program deposit, etc.) You will need to make arrangements to pay these bills in advance. We suggest that students who foresee problems covering these payments that are due prior to departure apply for a "direct-to-consumer" loan.
These types of loans are not processed through the school; rather, the proceeds are disbursed directly to the student. These loans are not disbursed in accordance with typical financial aid programs. The funds are made available to you much earlier, so that you are able to meet all program fee deadlines. Please note that if you choose to borrow this type of loan, it is YOUR responsibility to make payments on all your financial obligations (including your tuition at AMC), as all loan proceeds will be sent to you. If you are interested in a "direct-to-consumer" loan, the only product currently available is the Wells Fargo Education Connection Loan (www.wellsfargo.com/student/undergrad/education/).

For a list of all other available loan products, view our Financing Options page. These types of loans are disbursed according to the term start date. Generally, when utilizing this financing option, you will need to pay for your program fees out-of-pocket and be reimbursed later after all of your financial aid, including your loan is applied to your student account.

Study Abroad Fees

Students participating in a study abroad program will be charged a $250.00 administrative fee per academic semester to support Anna Maria College in providing services to students. This fee will be applied to the Anna Maria College student bill during regular billing cycles.

Making Payments

Students attending AMC affiliates Study Abroad Programs would pay their abroad tuition through Anna Maria College. Deposits, orientation, program-sponsored trips and events, health insurance, travel, books, and any personal expenses are considered as additional expenses and may be covered in your study abroad program fee. These fees are the responsibility of the student and they are expected to be taken care of by the student directly with the affiliated program of choice.

Upon acceptance into an affiliated study abroad program, the program will prepare a budget sheet for you to use as a financial planning resource for your time abroad. The budget sheet includes all fixed program costs and out-of-pocket expenditures in connection with your program. It is used as an estimate of funds needed - it is not a bill. If you do not receive this budget sheet from your study abroad program it is important that you inform the study abroad coordinator so one can be prepared for you.

AMC Bills

You must be registered at AMC and be cleared financially by the Bursar's Office prior to your departure. In the event that you are not financially cleared by the designated date prior to departure we are required to initiate a process of withdrawing your name from the college.
Click to review the process that will be followed if your bills remain unpaid.

  1. You will receive notification requesting immediate payment; if your bill remains unpaid, your study abroad program or foreign university will be asked to prohibit you from attending classes until the account is paid in full.
  2. Your name will be removed from the list of registered students here at Anna Maria College.
  3. Your financial aid will be revoked.
  4. You may be officially withdrawn from the college

Power of Attorney

If you are a recipient of Financial Aid, we recom­mend that you entrust a family member or another individual with power of attorney for the period of time that you will be abroad. Power of attorney will enable someone else to sign reimbursement checks and certain forms on your behalf. Obtaining power of attorney involves consultation with an attorney, and you should verify with the study abroad coordinator and Financial Aid Office that someone else can execute the forms you require.

If you will be absent during tax season and wish to file a tax return, and complete a FAFSA for the upcoming year having a Power of Attorney will come in handy. For more information checkout www.lawdepot.com. Alternatively, you can file for an extension with the IRS on the Web at www.irs.gov.

Scholarships and Grants

There are a multitude of scholarships for study abroad. There are scholarships attached to particular abroad programs. You should check with the government of the country where you intend to study (Contact either an embassy or consular office or the country's department of education). Many countries offer financial support to international students to make study in their country a more attractive and feasible option.