Anna Maria College Turns 70
The Sisters of Saint Anne founded Anna Maria College on April 23, 1946.
The college was moved from its location in Marlboro, MA to Paxton, MA in 1952.
Anna Maria College was once a horse farm back in the 1950s and what used to be a barn, is now Trinity Hall.
The first graduation on the Paxton campus was in June of 1953.
In 1955, Anna Maria College became accredited by The New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
In 1955, John F. Kennedy addressed the International Relations Club on campus.
Between 1952 and 1968, eight new buildings arose, a central heating plant, and a series of tunnels that served to connect several buildings.
The first family day for Alumnae was held and is still an annual tradition to this day.
Baroness Maria von Trapp came to campus to speak to the Sociology students in 1956.
The first chapel on campus was located in what is now Socquet House. The second was located in all-purpose auditorium in Foundress Hall and was used from 1957-1963.
The third and single-purpose chapel was built in 1963 in the lower level of Cardinal Cushing Hall.
In 1964, the graduating class of Anna Maria College exceeded 100 students for the first time
In the early 60s and throughout the 70s, St. Patrick’s Day was a huge event on campus where they held “Miss Irish” contests.
The graduate program opened in 1974.
Dr. Claire Quintal receives the Joan of Arc Medal in 1966. Awarded to an Alumna who exemplified courage.
The Education Program was initiated in 1967.
Anna Maria College became co-ed in 1973 and only had one male student enrolled full time.
In 1967, Governor John Volpe was given an honorary degree.
In 1974, the Anna Maria College Women's Chorus was selected to represent the Commonwealth of Massachusetts at the Expo '74 Festival of Entertainment in Spokane, WA.
The first Master's degrees were awarded in 1975.
In 1967, the tunnels connecting the campus were completed.
In 1969, Anna Maria’s Student Government Association memorialized Robert F. Kennedy with the RFK award.
In 1972, Anna Maria’s Choral Group performed for Pope Paul VI in Rome.
In 1974, the Health Studies program was replaced by the RN-BSN program.
In 1975, the first seven male students to receive a degree from Anna Maria also became the first to graduate from the graduate division.
In 1975, the bachelor’s degree in Business Administration was launched.
Ed Davis, a notable Alum who is the former Police Commissioner of the Boston Police Department, graduated with a Master of Science in Criminal Justice in 1990.
In 1990, the Madore Chapel was totally renovated and a central altar, a baptismal font, and new stained glass windows were put in.
On January 4, 1993, the adding of an in-house security system providing 24-hour vigilance started to enhance the reputation of Anna Maria as a safe campus.
In 1995, the study of Fire Science first premiered and is now one of our most popular majors.