General Holiday Safety
- Be sure not to overload your circuits
- Only use indoor lights indoors and outdoor lights outdoors. Look for the UL label. Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, as well as loose connections. Replace or repair any damaged light sets.
- Turn off all lights on trees and decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Unplug extension cords when not in use.
- When putting up holiday decorations, always use the proper step stool or ladder to reach high places. Don’t stand on chairs, desks or other furniture.
- Prepare your car for the winter by checking items such as the brakes, spark plugs, battery and tires. Check your owner’s manual for the recommended interval for a tune-up.
Christmas Tree Safety
- Never use lighted candles near trees, boughs, curtains/drapes or with any potentially flammable item.
- Stand your tree away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Make sure the tree does not block foot traffic or doorways.
- Keep the stand filled with water so the tree does not dry out quickly.
Happy Holidays from the Fire and Emergency Services Association at Anna Maria College.
In case of an emergency, dial 9-1-1!
Written by Casey Lacasse, President of Fire and Emergency Services Association at Anna Maria College