Happy 70th birthday, Anna Maria College! As a way to celebrate the College’s seven decades of progress we counted down to the official anniversary on April 23, 2016, by sharing historical factoids and other points of interest through our Twitter and Facebook. Alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends joined in on the celebration by posting images of their tenure at the College on social media accounts using the hashtag - #AMCTurns70. To keep celebrating this occasion, we have included all of these facts and points below.
On Saturday, September 17, the College celebrated the anniversary with a Mass and lawn party. 


  • The Sisters of Saint Anne founded Anna Maria College on April 23, 1946.

  • The college was moved from its location in Marlboro, MA to Paxton, MA in 1952.

  • Anna Maria College was once a horse farm back in the 1950s and what used to be a barn, is now Trinity Hall. 

  • The first graduation on the Paxton campus was in June of 1953.

  • In 1955, Anna Maria College became accredited by The New England Association of Schools and Colleges. 

  • In 1955, John F. Kennedy addressed the International Relations Club on campus. 

  • Between 1952 and 1968, eight new buildings arose, a central heating plant, and a series of tunnels that served to connect several buildings. 

  • The first family day for Alumnae was held and is still an annual tradition to this day.


  • Baroness Maria von Trapp came to campus to speak to the Sociology students in 1956.

  • The first chapel on campus was located in what is now Socquet House. The second was located in all-purpose auditorium in Foundress Hall and was used from 1957-1963. 

  • The third and single-purpose chapel was built in 1963 in the lower level of Cardinal Cushing Hall.

  • In 1964, the graduating class of Anna Maria College exceeded 100 students for the first time


  • In the early 60s and throughout the 70s, St. Patrick’s Day was a huge event on campus where they held “Miss Irish” contests. 

  • The graduate program opened in 1974.

  • Dr. Claire Quintal receives the Joan of Arc Medal in 1966. Awarded to an Alumna who exemplified courage.

  • The Education Program was initiated in 1967.

  • Anna Maria College became co-ed in 1973 and only had one male student enrolled full time.

  • In 1967, Governor John Volpe was given an honorary degree.

  • In 1974, the Anna Maria College Women's Chorus was selected to represent the Commonwealth of Massachusetts at the Expo '74 Festival of Entertainment in Spokane, WA.

  • The first Master's degrees were awarded in 1975.

  • In 1967, the tunnels connecting the campus were completed.

  • In 1969, Anna Maria’s Student Government Association memorialized Robert F. Kennedy with the RFK award.

  • In 1972, Anna Maria’s Choral Group performed for Pope Paul VI in Rome.

  • In 1974, the Health Studies program was replaced by the RN-BSN program.

  • In 1975, the first seven male students to receive a degree from Anna Maria also became the first to graduate from the graduate division.

  • In 1975, the bachelor’s degree in Business Administration was launched.


  • Elie Wiesel is a Holocaust survivor, Jewish writer, and political activist that was awarded an Honorary Degree in 1980.
  • In 1985, AMC held a contest to name the mascot. Sister Irene Leblanc, SSA won by suggesting AMCATS (Anna Maria College Athletic Teams).
  • Mondor-Eagen Library was dedicated to Sister Mary Anne Eva Mondor and Sister Mary Rose Isabel Eagen in 1982.
  • Men's Soccer and Women's Basketball had been introduced as early as 1977.
  • Field Hockey and Men's Basketball were introduced in 1978.
  • Baseball was added in 1980 and Men's Golf followed in 1981.
  • In 1985, 80 members of the National Guard received their Bachelor of Science degrees in Business Administration.
  • On August 1, 1976, Sister Rollande Quintal was named Registrar.
  • In 1976, a Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy was introduced and is now one of our most popular majors.
  • On April 13, 1980, a major change in the corporate structure of the College began with the formation of a Board of Trustees.


  • Ed Davis, a notable Alum who is the former Police Commissioner of the Boston Police Department, graduated with a Master of Science in Criminal Justice in 1990.

  •  In 1990, the Madore Chapel was totally renovated and a central altar, a baptismal font, and new stained glass windows were put in.

  • On January 4, 1993, the adding of an in-house security system providing 24-hour vigilance started to enhance the reputation of Anna Maria as a safe campus.

  • In 1995, the study of Fire Science first premiered and is now one of our most popular majors.


  • In 1996, laptops became available for faculty to allow them to move about to provide more access to education for students.
  • On October 5, 1996 our first website was unveiled. Sister Rita Larivee, former president of the college, produced it.
  • Anna Maria entered into a partnership with IBM in the early 2000s, which helped to jump-start its efforts to purchase, wire and install state-of-the-art computer technology that would keep Anna Maria on the forefront of change.
  • In 2010, the college launched its first online programs to address the changing needs of adult students.


  • In 2008, student groups raised funds for the Sisters of Saint Anne in Haiti.
  • In 2009, football and lacrosse students played on our new all-purpose athletic field.
  • The Anna Maria Football team took home their first win against Becker College on November 5, 2011.
  • In 2011, the Nursing Program expanded to offer a four-year BSN to meet the needs of traditional, pre-licensure students.
  • In 2013, the Field Hockey team went unbeaten in conference play and received an NECC Championship victory for their second time.
  • Our Homelessness Awareness Week was created in 2013 by 4 students who got the idea from a conference they attended in Alabama
  • In 2015, 93% of Anna Maria’s first graduating Nursing class passed their licensure exams on their first attempt, exceeding the results of state and national averages.
  • In 2015, we partnered with Quinsigamond Community College to create H.E.A.R.T. Initiative that provides a cost effective pathway for students interested in degrees in public service-driven careers.
  • In 2015, the Fire Science Program began an annual Public Burn Demonstration that takes place in October.

2016 and beyond

  • We have many faculty members here at Anna Maria College that are also Alumni.
  • There are 25 student-led clubs and organizations and numerous organized community service opportunities on campus.
  • Anna Maria College now offers 13 ‪D3 NCAA athletic programs.
  • We now offer a dozen graduate school study programs on-ground and online.
  • Today, we continue to grow by offering 32 undergraduate majors.